Sunday, April 13, 2014

How To Get An Agent - Reality Check

Over a two year span (2011 - 2013) I wrote 13 full-length screenplays, hoping to see at least one of them made into a movie. I had neither the time, nor the ability, nor the experience, nor the inclination nor the wherewithal to market them myself, so I decided to look for an agent.

I happened upon an interview with a bona fide, genuine, top notch Hollywood agent, and the interviewer asked her point blank, "How does an unknown writer find an agent?" Her answer was very simple. You need to know somebody who knows an agent. Or you need to know somebody who knows somebody who knows an agent. Or you need to know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows an agent...ad infinitum.

The further down you go the harder it gets - obviously.

All the cold calling and query letters you can muster will get you exactly nowhere,

No comments:

Post a Comment