Thursday, April 10, 2014

Having Fun

If you are not having fun then you are either wasting your time or a slave. 

I love writing (fun) and I hate marketing (not fun). The result is that in two months I've sold exactly two copies of what I consider a very good novel, and those were both to personal friends. It is impossible to do well at a task you hate. 


The solution to the problem, if solving it is important to you, is to somehow, make marketing fun. 


We all know that fun and creativity are two words for one feeling. So the question is, "How to make marketing fun?" The general answer is "be creative or "use your imagination." 


So my suggestion for this group is to share your ideas on how to have fun marketing your book. I'll start. This is a brainstorm and the hurricane is just off the coast. 


- Read the "how to" books and take them with a grain of salt. They all sound the same and I can't help yawning. 


- Write a review of your work saying how awful it is. That will get attention. 


- Make up some quotes about your work and attribute them to some famous dead people. For example, "Alex Burke is the only author who makes me feel small." - William Shakespeare. 


- Offer to digitally sign every book you sell. 


- Write a review as a sonnet. 


- Create a slide show featuring your main characters. 


The list is endless but you get my point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment